NEW ORLEANS—Drawing on her community leadership roots, mayoral candidate LaToya Cantrell announces that she will visit 12 New Orleans neighborhoods over 12 days, listening to citizens’ priorities and discussing her vision for the city’s future. Cantrell says only by deeply understanding the concerns of New Orleanians can the next mayor develop an agenda, which addresses New Orleans’ persistent inequality and moves the entire city forward as one.
“As a neighborhood leader and as Council Member for District B, I’ve found that the people who know a neighborhood best are the people who live there,” says Cantrell. “As we approach the qualifying period for this campaign, I want the citizens of this city to understand I am running a campaign for the people. I will listen to you – I want to know your hopes and concerns for our future. Your hopes and concerns will guide me every day as your Mayor.”
“During the Katrina recovery, my approach was to listen first,” says Cantrell “I held a great many meetings with Broadmoor residents, listening, building consensus, and then taking action. We achieved results for our residents. I plan to bring a similar approach to City Hall.”
The tour begins in Broadmoor, but touches many New Orleans communities, including Algiers and New Orleans East, where the Cantrell Campaign has recently opened two offices.
“If we are to move past a tale of two cities, we need to meet the people where they are,” says Cantrell. “Every New Orleans neighborhood has engaged and concerned residents, and we have to listen to them. As mayor, I will always be out listening to the people and connecting citizens to their government.”
Cantrell will hold 12 meetings in 12 days, starting on June 13 at 6 p.m. at 3504 Napoleon Avenue. Here is the full list of dates, times and locations:
- Lower Ninth Ward: Wednesday, June 14 at 6 pm: Burnell Cotlon’s Store (corner of Caffin and Galvez streets).
- Gentilly: Thursday, June 15 at 6 pm: Juju Bug Café, 5363 Franklin Ave.
- New Orleans East: Saturday, June 17 at 2 pm: LaToya Cantrell Campaign New Orleans East Office, 11701 Morrison Road, STE 101.
- Central City: Monday, June 19 at 6pm: Ashe Cultural Arts Center, 1712 O.C. Haley Blvd.
- CBD/Warehouse/Lower Garden District: The Pythian, 234 Loyola Ave.
- Bywater-Marigny/French Quarter/Treme: Wednesday, June 21 at 6pm: Basin Street Station (4th floor), 501 Basin Street.
- Lakeview: Thursday, June 22 at 6:30 pm: Lakeview Coffee Café, 5606 Canal Blvd.
- Algiers: Saturday, June 24 at 10 am: LaToya Cantrell Algiers Campaign Office, 3220 General Degaulle Dr.
- Mid-City: Monday, June 26 at 6 pm: Neyow’s Reception Hall, 3317 Bienville St.
- Seventh Ward: Tuesday, June 27 at 9 am: Dooky Chase’s, 2301 Orleans Ave.
- Carrollton: Wednesday, June 28 at 6 pm: Chalstrom House, 1031 South Carrollton Ave.